Suffering from anal itching problem. Suggest effective cure

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My wife is suffering from anal (rectum) itching problem. She was told by the doctors that the anal surface gets too stretched due to body posters and the fissures appear. They get healed and again appear. The anal area has a tiny skintag. Seems like the skin is not too flexible and gets ruptured again and again. She is 40 yrs old now.
Her bowel movement is good and she doesn't suffer from constipation. She had recently undergone surgery of gall bladder (8 months back). Doctors have prescribed an ointment to apply to the area as well as a powder to help keep it dry. Can you please suggest a long term remedy? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 26 minutes later
Actually you are on the right path of treatment. Anal itching is common in fissures along with pain. The idea is to keep that anal area lubricated and avoid dryness.You can apply anovate/proctosil ointment.That will help but eventually the fissures may re appear again. You can also apply lignocaine ointment which will reduce pain. Seitz bath with hot water will help reduce inflammation.Make sure that she doesnt get constipation as it will cause pain. Anal fissures dont have any surgical treatment.
Also anal itching can be caused by intestinal parasites.So give her tab albendazole 400mg 1 tab at night.