Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Suffering from anal fissure. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
Hello doctor my husband is suffring from anal fissure from last two week !! what to do??
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Anal fissures are usually caused by trauma to the anal canal. The cause of the trauma usually is bowel movement of a hard stool or repeated episodes constipation. When there is a fissure, the anal sphincter usually goes into spasm, thereby making bowel movements painful and more difficult, thereby delaying healing and sometimes, leading to worsening of the tear.

Now, since your husband's fissure is of a acute onset, conservative measures should usually be sufficient. You can try the following suggestions:

- The first step is to prevent further hard stools increasing the tear, so he should eat fibre-rich foods, fruits, drinking plenty of water and avoid spicy and 'sharp' foods.
- He can use a mild laxative like Naturolax, Fibogyl, etc. for the next few days
- For the pain and discomfort, he can use a topical anesthetic cream such as Lignocaine gel
- He can also use Diltiazem cream or Nitroglycerine cream before passing stools, in order to relieve the spasm of the anal sphincter.

In most cases, following these conservative management suggestions will heal the fissure and relieve his symptoms within a few days or a maximum of 2 weeks.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor