Suffering from acidity and gastritis. ECG came with heart issue. Took veloz-d. What to do?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am suffering from Acidity and gastritis. My throat and the pipe down to the stomach some times gives itching and burning sensation.
I had visited doctor for this issue and he did a ECG and echo crdiography to rule out any heart related issues confirmed it was due to acidity.
I was prescribed to take Veloz-d for couple of weeks and it worked. I am again experiencing the same from past couple of weeks, I take Veloz-d and its normal for 3-4 days and again its the same.
Its not as severe as I experienced before visiting the doctor couple of months ago.
Should I again visit a doctor for physical examination or what do you suggest.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Are you an alcoholic or a smoker?

You are suffering from peptic ulcer diseases affecting your upper gastro-intestinal tract.
Presence of normal ECG & 2 D Echo with improvement after taking Veloz-D suggests the diagnosis.
Burning sensation in food pipe is because of damage in upper gastro-intestinal (GI) tract.
Veloz -D has partially improved your condition and thats why you got some relief.
These peptic ulcer diseases are due to Helicobacter Pylori bacteria and aggravated by smoking and alcohol intake.
H. Pylori bacteria is responsible for chronic gastritis, fundal gastritis, nodular gastritis, peptic ulcers and adenocarcinoma of stomach.
Permanent relief is achieved by eradication of this bacteria.

You should also consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist / gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for endoscopy with gastric mucosal biopsy along with breathe urea test for H. pylori.
You should also go for thyroid profile and blood sugar level.
Avoid tomatoes, citrus fruits, onion, garlic, spicy and oily food.
Avoid tea, coffee and chocolates.
Take soft diet with yogurt.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow up: Dr. Mayank Bhargava 17 minutes later
Yes I am alcoholic and smoker.

Thanks for the reply doctor. I will quit both of them if these habits are reason for my problem.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 31 minutes later
You should quit both of these habits and also go for endoscopy for better clarification of your upper gastro-intestinal tract.
You should also follow dietary precaution.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava