Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Suffering from acidity and digestion problem. Which specialist should I consult?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 512 Questions
We are unable to diagonise my husbands health issue mentioned below ? Please advise which specialist to approach .
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman 31 minutes later

Welcome to Healthcare magic.

After going through the details you have provided, I would suggest that a consultation with a General Physician (MD General Medicine) will be of help.

His acidity and digestion problem might be due to gastritis which he gets on and off. This in turn will be related to excess stress, anxiety, irregular eating habits and spicy food intake. A physician will be able to examine your husband and give appropriate treatment.

Headache might be due to vascular cause- which can be precipitated by stress, hunger, direct sunlight etc. Ophthalmologist consultation will be needed to rule out eye sight problems. If its vascular- there are medications to abort the attack and prevent the attack too.

The swollen nerves- I guess you mean the veins appear prominent sometimes. This alone does not have significance. Have you recorded the temperature any time? Feeling of warmth alone can`t be taken as fever. Since you say he gets okay without any intervention, there will be nothing much to worry I guess.

About the morning calls- if the frequency is more than 3 times a day or stools are loose in consistency or he has pain while stools or if he sees blood in stools, he needs to be evaluated.

A visit to a general Physician, detailed examination and basic investigations as per Physician`s advice- will sort out all issues.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any further queries, please feel free to ask me. I will be happy to help you.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from acidity and digestion problem. Which specialist should I consult? 17 hours later
Thank you very much for your valuable advise ,

I have some more queries with reference to above :-

a) it is normally indigestion which causes severe headache in his case . any specific medication for proper digestion .

b) Reargding the nerves getting prominent sometimes - it is very very painful which continues to 10 to 12 hours minimum . Temperature was not recorded but normally feels very weak at that time .

c) As you said above there in no pain while stool passing , but only after he attends twice minimum he is satisfied 85%. Any specific medication for this ..
Pls advise

Answered by Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman 59 minutes later

Thanks for getting back.

- Usually indigestion does not cause headache. Indigestion may be due to acidity itself. There are many medications available for acidity and indigestion. But its better that you have him examined by a doctor before taking any medications. You will need frequent follow ups with same doctor to see if response is good.

Headache might be due to vascular causes as said before. It can be related to intake of specific food items. Your doctor will examine your husband thoroughly and if its concluded vascular headache, he will advise you accordingly. Before conclusion, eye sight problems, sinus head aches etc should be ruled out. His blood pressure also should be recorded.

- Regarding the veins becoming prominent, since its painful- inflammation has to be ruled out. If in legs, a condition called varicose veins has to be ruled out. It can happen in people who have to stand for long time in their work. Its better that you discuss this with your doctor and if required he will get a surgeon`s consultation for the same.

- For his problem regarding stools, I feel nothing needs to be done.

Please do consult a physician and get your husband examined fully. He will be able to guide you further.
Hope I have answered your query.

Please do get back if you have further queries. I will be happy to help you.
Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor