Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

186 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suffering from abdominal pain, back pain and mild fever. Should I consult a doctor?

Answered by
Dr. Ratnakar Kini


Practicing since :1996

Answered : 1861 Questions

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I am a 26 yr old female, 4'9'' 140 lbs. I was in my doctor's office yesterday for upper right abdominal pain under my ribs and toward the middle-right as well. I am running a temp of 99 degrees and the pain follows after meals but also happens other times. I am having this pain in my back on the right side also. It has been 6 days of this pain and waiting for blood results to come back but it won't be until Monday. Should I just go to the hospital? I am in a lot of pain and this fever just started yesterday.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your query.

Right upper quadrant pain could be due to cholecystitis ( inflammation of the gall bladder). The other possible causes are hepatitis and peptic ulcer disease. Sometimes the middle right and back pain could be due to ureteric calculus.

In your case, right upper quadrant pain with fever is most likely to be due to acute cholecystitis. Most often it is due to gall stones. A ultrasound scan of the abdomen may be done for confirmation. A liver function test may also be done.

Since the pain is persisting and is very severe and that the new symptom of fever has started now, I would advise you to visit ER for treatment.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Gall bladder calculus

doctor1 MD

I have been diagnosed with gallstones and need to have my gallbladder removed. Until this happens I need to go back to work, which involves working with heavy patients as my field is Physiotherapy. Would I be able to carry on or do I need to have light duties?

Many thanks

doctor1 MD

My mother went through an ultrasound because of the stone in gall bladder . Attached is the report for the same. I need to understand the next step for this.

doctor1 MD

My USG of abdomen reads as Gall bladder is partially distended. Solitary Gall bladder calculus noted measuing 16 x 12.5mm. No sludge is seen. Gall bladder reveals normal wall thickness. No evidence of pericholecystic fluid collection seen. Please...

doctor1 MD

Hi, Greetings !! This question is related pain between lower right rib & stomach after having food. My wife aged 42, with slim body structure weight 48, height 5'1'' is facing this pain for last five years. We have done Ultra sound to identify the...

doctor1 MD

Hi. I have tested positive for AMA and been told i may have primary billiary cirrhosis . All other tests are normal. I have gall stones, chronic anemia and low weight 6.10. I have to wait 5 mths to see a liver specialist and the uncertainty is causing me so much stress as pbc is a serious condition and yet i dont know if i really have it. The pbc society mentions some consultants diagnose on the positive ama alone, what is your view ? Thanks Hannah

doctor1 MD

I am going thru IVF- had 2 embryos implanted on 5/25. The very next day had severe--severe-- pain in left shoulder--it lasted 2 days and went away. Just had first hcg test and level is low 19.7. I have been reading today on the web that shoulder pain could indicate an ectopic pregnancy. Could the shoulder pain be a symptom even though it was 2 weeks ago? I am also nauseous but otherwise feel fine. No bleeding or cramping at all. Should I be worried? Thank you.

doctor1 MD

I am suffering from bloating for past 3-4 months. It usually occurs after a couple of hours from having meals or at times even due to empty stomach. There is aching between ribs and navel portion. My physician suggested a course of Fasygen (2 times a day * 3-5 days) and a daily dose of Pan-D for couple of months. My family physician s diagnosis included possibilities of GERD/ giardiasis , mental/emotional stress, amoebiasis and gall stones. Accordingly I had a Ultra Sound of my abdomen done, but its results were normal. I am also taking Gasex to avoid bloating for more than a month. After the course of Fasygen, I get a relief for a few days (3-4 days). But the symptoms reappear. And it is usually accompanied by involuntary gaseous discharge.