Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Suffering from abdominal pain and rectal bleeding. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 364 Questions
hi my name is XXXXXXX i am a 28 year old male, for several years now i have had a problem with rectal bleeding. it isnt a permanant thing, it seems to come and go. i have never seen a pattern to it coming and going. the bleeding amount has seemed to always be about the same. i do have really bad stomache pains when it happens. im not sure what to do...
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 4 hours later
Rectal bleeding can be a really scary symptom, however in young patients like you it is usually a benign condition. Hemorrhoids is the most common cause of rectal bleeding in young patients, and depending on the severity it can be treated with sitz baths, topical medicines and/or suppositories; large hemorrhoids may require surgical excision or banding by a surgeon. However you should be evaluated at this time by a gastroenterologist, as you will definitely need at least a flexible sigmoidoscopy (a short version of a colonoscopy), to make sure you do not have inflammation and ulcers in your colon, since there are other conditions in young patients that can cause rectal bleeding such as ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, infectious colitis.
The "stomach" pains may also be due to inflammation or spasms in your stomach or colon.
Hope that helped, let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor