Suffering from a peptic ulcer with severe stomach pain and back pain. Took ACV. Why there is a menthol feeling in my throat?

Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, I am suffering from a peptic ulcer (I think) with severe stomach pain and serious back pain. I tool 2 tablespoons of ACV which helped my stomach. I also put on a bengay patch on my back and went to bed, however woke up with a menthol/vapor feeling in my throat. I immediately removed the patch and washed my back. Could this feeling in my throat be from the Bengay? Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 2 hours later
Possibly the pain you had was related to acid peptic disease.

If the symptoms relieved with ACV and has not recurred then need not worry.

But if it is recurrent then you need to get yourself investigated with an ultrasonography and endoscopy as pancreatitis pain and biliary colic ( gall stone ) related pain may radiate to back but usually are very severe.

Also Bengay patch contains menthol, so your throat feeling of menthol could be due to the patch, don't worry about that it will go with them.

Taking a chewing gum would help you get rid of the taste.

Hope this answers your query.

Please do reply in case of any further questions.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E