Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffering from a burning sensation on penis tip and noticed white dots. Which specialist should I consult?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
Hello Doctor,
For the past 4 months, I have been suffering from a burning sensation on the underside part of my penis, near the top.
It does not hurt me when I pee; I just feel a burning sensation for the most of the day.
Sometimes, I feel better to the point that it does not bother me (2-3 days) but then it comes back.
I visited an urologist and I did all the tests, PSA test, urinary sample examination, ultra sound scans (belly, testicles, kidney), they said that they cannot see something wrong.

I visited an urologist because at the beginning the pain was bigger after urination and I thought that something was wrong with my urethra.
I used the cream miconazole in the area for 3 weeks too and I took some pills (my wife too) for possible yeast infection.
Both of us did not have different sexual partners for the 4 past years.
When I look at the area, I do not see any obvious skin infection, it is a little bit red the area which I feel the burn, but nothing else looks abnormal there.
I do not know if it relevant or not, but the other day I noticed under the skin that covers the head of my penis, some white dot things, but I have not seen them since.
I would like to ask if you think that a dermatological problem might be involved.
Shall I visit a dermatologist too? Are there any tests that can be done?
Can you please let me know what you think is the problem?
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Most common cause of burning over penis/glans is due to bacteria or fungus.Bacterial infection is unlikely as you have this for 4 months and it also causes other symptoms like fever and malaise.

Herpes genitalis infection can cause symptoms like those mentioned by you.As you and your wife are in monogamous relationship herpes is also less likely.But herpes needs to be ruled out by doing IgM and IgG antibodies for herpes in blood.
This test will help in ruling out herpes infection in your case.

Also there is other possibility of irritant contact dermatitis which can occur due to contact with soaps/detergent/inner clothes/cosmetics/condoms etc.Have tried anything new recently?

Also if you have any visible lesions or abnormality you can upload photos of the affected area by using UPLOAD YOUR REPORTS section .

Till the time you can continue miconazole cream application.Also you can apply hydrocortisone cream once a day over affected area.It will help symptomatically.

Hope this helps.

I will be available for follow up.

STD and HIV specialist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from a burning sensation on penis tip and noticed white dots. Which specialist should I consult? 15 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for the reply.

I have not used any new soap, detergent, etc. recently. I thought about this myself too, I even washed my clothes only with water for the last 2-3 times.

Mainly, I feel the burning sensation on the underside of my penis, I cannot tell for sure if this is the skin or the inside that is burning (urethra).

I forgot to mention that every time that I apply warm water in the area (bath or shower) I get a relief which lasts for 1-2 hours and then it comes back.

The worse symptoms I get when I sit for long hours at work.

Do you think is worth it visiting a dermatologist or shall I check with a different urologist?


Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 5 hours later

Thanks for the details.

In my opinion you should once visit dermatologist.It will allow direct examination and treatment if required.Visiting another urologist will not help much.

Also you can use Renalka (CYSTONE) syrup by HIMALAYA .It is over the counter herbal preparation.Useful to reduce the burning sensation in the urethra.

A visit to dermatologist will be worth .

Hope this helps.

I will be available for follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor