Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

189 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suffering from UTI. What treatment should be done?

Answered by
Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Practicing since :2005

Answered : 1528 Questions

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My mother is suffering with URinary infection as the CULTURE AND SENSITIVITY (VITEK)-URINE
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 45 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Yes your mothers urine culture is positive for Ecoli infection of the urinary tract which is sensitive to penicillin group of antibiotics and should be treated with a course of the recommended antibiotic ( any one amongst the sensitive ones.
Considering most of the antibiotics mentioned are injectable and not oral ,a course of oral antibiotic like ampicillin or nitrofurantoin would be advisable if the patient is otherwise stable and not hospitalised.
In case the patient has any other renal complications, is hospitalised or has symptoms like fever, decreased or burning micturition not relieved by previous oral medications then injectable antibiotics from the mentioned list can be given.
From the information you have provided it seems that your mother has repeated urinary infections which could be age related, due to uncontrolled blood sugar or inadequate hygiene or low immunity .
So kindly consult a urologist for confirmation of the diagnosis and appropriate management . Meanwhile make sure she is well hydrated and takes necessary precautions to prevent recurrence of urinary infections .
As of now a course of appropriate antibiotic should cure her infection and after that your doctor might want to repeat the culture test to confirm the eradication of the Ecoli bacteria and declare cure.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Hema Yadav 52 minutes later
Thank you, doctor.
She is at home but not hospitalized. she is able to cook and move around but has pain in the legs. Can she start taking the ampicillin or nitrofurantoin tables which we can get in the medical stores and let me know there names, when should she take them before lunch or after dinner.

Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Adult doses of nitrofurantoin (Niftran or Furadantin)for a urinary tract infections can be 100mg two times daily, or 50mg four times daily for seven days
Ampicillin (Ampiclox ) is usually taken after meals as 1 capsule (500 mg) every 6 hours for seven - ten days depending on severity of infection.
However I would not advise you to take these medicines over the counter or without prescription by your physician as they have many sideffects especially in elderly.
So first and foremost the patient has to be evaluated by her doctor to decide about safety and efficacy and dosage schedule most suitable in her case.
Also in case of recurrent UTI it's best to get her evaluated by a urologist or nephrologist to rule out any renal problems.
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing her good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on Urinary tract infection

doctor1 MD

My father had prostate and it is diagnosed that it is cancers and was operated 10 years ago the doctor told that he has removed the cancer but could not operate the prostate because of come complication .After the operation the doctor under gone Cystoscopy test every year for 5 years after the operation and found no sign of cancer reformation after 10 year he has urinary infection with temperature he took antibiotics and also ultrasound was conducted and found that a little enlargement in prostate is there doctor advised to take medicine as there is not significant enlargement of prostate .After taking medicine he was cured and urine test it is found the inflection is gone and now after 20 day he has again have urinary infection can u please give me the reason ?

doctor1 MD

i have had 8 urine infection in the past 10months been for a kidney scan which shows a lump on my right kidney im on trimethoprim 200mg one a night but lately i have been having very sore heads till the point were i cant lift my head of the pillow as very tired bloated and a coating on tongue

doctor1 MD

My daughter is a crohn's sufferer, diagnosed 12 months ago. She is on immunosuppressants and suffers repeat bladder infections. The crohn's itself is under control (we think) but today she is in pain again with an urgent need to pass water and there has been blood in her urine which has been absent with previous infections. She has mentioned her illness to doctors when getting treatment for "water infections" and they have been fairly dismissive of a link to crohns. The problem is we do not know what to expect if a flare-up occurs. Could this latest symptom (blood in her urine) be a symptom of flare-up or should we stop being concerned and assume it is another water/bladder infection? I would like her to go to A&E and get it checked but don't want to touble doctors unnecessarily.

doctor1 MD

Hi!. I'm having some difficulties in the procedure called Irrigating cystoclysis...I found the answers but I can't reason out why..

-to restore or maintain the patency of the bladder
•     to prevent formation of calcific deposits in and around the indwelling catheter
•     to relieve bladder spasm
•     to drain the bladder when acute urinary retention is present
•     to irrigate bladder with a medication to treat an infection or local bladder irritation

why is it cystoclysis is indicated for post genito-urinary surgery, urinary tract infection and also in prostatic hematuria?..

doctor1 MD

I'm having slight bleeding when I urinate and also light vaginal bleeding . I am also having slight abdominal pain . I had cervical cancer and had to have a complete hysterectomy 36 years ago in which they removed my uterus, 1 ovary and cervix. ....

doctor1 MD

I had sex last night. Can feel a urinary tract infection coming on. I have alprim antibiotics , if I take them today will This affect my pill

doctor1 MD

I’m a male 76 years of age and have had some pain in the pubic area when I urinate - I have had to yhrinate very frequently as well for the past three days -this morning I urinated blood (first time ever) - since my first episode of urinating...