Suffering from UTI. What treatment should be done?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My mother is suffering with URinary infection as the CULTURE AND SENSITIVITY (VITEK)-URINE
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 45 minutes later
Yes your mothers urine culture is positive for Ecoli infection of the urinary tract which is sensitive to penicillin group of antibiotics and should be treated with a course of the recommended antibiotic ( any one amongst the sensitive ones.
Considering most of the antibiotics mentioned are injectable and not oral ,a course of oral antibiotic like ampicillin or nitrofurantoin would be advisable if the patient is otherwise stable and not hospitalised.
In case the patient has any other renal complications, is hospitalised or has symptoms like fever, decreased or burning micturition not relieved by previous oral medications then injectable antibiotics from the mentioned list can be given.
From the information you have provided it seems that your mother has repeated urinary infections which could be age related, due to uncontrolled blood sugar or inadequate hygiene or low immunity .
So kindly consult a urologist for confirmation of the diagnosis and appropriate management . Meanwhile make sure she is well hydrated and takes necessary precautions to prevent recurrence of urinary infections .
As of now a course of appropriate antibiotic should cure her infection and after that your doctor might want to repeat the culture test to confirm the eradication of the Ecoli bacteria and declare cure.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.

Follow up: Dr. Hema Yadav 52 minutes later
Thank you, doctor.
She is at home but not hospitalized. she is able to cook and move around but has pain in the legs. Can she start taking the ampicillin or nitrofurantoin tables which we can get in the medical stores and let me know there names, when should she take them before lunch or after dinner.

Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Adult doses of nitrofurantoin (Niftran or Furadantin)for a urinary tract infections can be 100mg two times daily, or 50mg four times daily for seven days
Ampicillin (Ampiclox ) is usually taken after meals as 1 capsule (500 mg) every 6 hours for seven - ten days depending on severity of infection.
However I would not advise you to take these medicines over the counter or without prescription by your physician as they have many sideffects especially in elderly.
So first and foremost the patient has to be evaluated by her doctor to decide about safety and efficacy and dosage schedule most suitable in her case.
Also in case of recurrent UTI it's best to get her evaluated by a urologist or nephrologist to rule out any renal problems.
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing her good health.