Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Suffering from Rabies. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 598 Questions
my brother is now facing Rabies disease........what to do
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 28 minutes later
Thanks for your query.
From your query I understand that your brother has been diagnosed with & is suffering from Rabies. This is usually not so common as vaccination after dog bite (post exposure prophylaxis) prevents this condition.
1. If your brother does not have any symptoms then clean wound management/vaccine/ anti rabies immunoglobulin/ antibiotics/ TT injection can be administered. The causative animal should be followed and observed.
2. It is very unfortunate if the symptoms of rabies have already set in as there is no single effective treatment for rabies once clinical signs are evident.In this stage the patient requires hospitalisation and supportive and medical management.

Thus in asymptomatic patient or in very early stage there are good chances of recovery but if the symptoms become pronounced then the chances of cure are also less.

Hope , I have addressed your query.
I will be glad to share any more information on this topic if desired by you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor