Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Suffering from PCOS, ultrasound confirmed cysts on both ovaries. On glucophage. Anything else to regulate ovulation?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 158 Questions
I suffer from PCOS. ultrasound has confirmed cysts on both ovaries. I'm 33, 5'3", 120lb. Healthy and active. I've been on birth control for 10 years to regulate my period. Since stopping the OC six month ago I've been placed on 1500mg glucophage 500mg tid. Since then I get my period every ~40 days. Then last month, I broke out in facial acne and didn't get my period until 78 days. Blood tests for hormone levels taken on 5th day of cycle show all within normal levels. I'm trying to get pregnant and was wondering if there is anything else I can do to get rid if the cysts and regulate ovulation and menstral cycle?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 21 hours later

Thanks for the query.

I have gone through you’re query. You reported that you been suffering from irregular menstrual cycles due to Polycystic ovaries. Glucophage helped you for a while and not you are unable to menstruate for the last 40 days.

After reading your query, I think you need to get an ultrasound follicle monitoring to observe the growth of the egg as the next step. If eggs are not forming well, then you need medications for egg formation.

A gynecologist or an infertility expert may be able to guide you with the sequential ultrasounds. Consult an infertility centre near you locality where you can go for egg formation trecking and other tests like tube patency test, husband semen analysis, etc.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further queries, I will be available to address them. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor