Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Suffering from L5-S1 disc desiccation pain. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Spine Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 322 Questions

I am suffering from L5-S1 (from MRI) disc desiccation pain, My pain use to be sometime at back and transform from upper limb to lower limb. Its been more than 2 months that I'm suffering. Please suggest
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 17 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.
Disc prolapse can cause back pain and if it presses on the nerves then it usually cause leg pain. In your case disc dessication contributes to the back pain however its unlikely to go up in the arm. However sometimes similar changes happen in cervical spine as well.
Coming to treatment options, it depends upon the severity of pain and how much it is affecting your routine? Initially we always start pain medicine with physiotherapy and over a period we start regular back muscle stretching and exercise. Swimming also a good option. If all conservative measures failed then we may consider disc replacement surgery option.
I would suggest to consider dedicated physiotherapy as it should improve the back pain. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor