Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Suffering from ILD. Had CT scan of chest. What does the report say?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 554 Questions
my father aged 67 years suffering from ILD since feb 2011. he is living with help of oxyzen concentrator. day before yesterday his HRCT Chest reports showed that Axial scans of chest at Imm thickness were obtained. Reduced lung volumes noted. The lung parenchyma 'shows diffuse septal thickening along the bronchi, fissures and subpleural reginons with architectural distortion. Bilateral upper and lower lobes show subpleual fibrosis with honeycombing with large areas of traction bronchiectasis and cysts predominantly involving lower lobes.. No evidence of fluid in the pleural space. The trachea is normal. The tracheal bifurcation are normal. my question is can my father be treated and any theropy ...?
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 1 hour later
Brief Answer: pirfenidone can be tried Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. CT scan picture is suggestive of advanced form of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. (One of the form of ILD). Treatment options at this stage is only symptomatic especially oxygen therapy, proton pump inhibitors for acid reflux, treatment of pulmonary hypertension if present... ...Some drug therapy like pirfenidone 200 mg thrice daily may be tried. Others are N-acetyl cysteine, azathioprine and steroids. The only curative treatment is lung transplantation but its cost, availability and longer waiting period matters a lot... Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor