Suffering from ILD. Had CT scan of chest. What does the report say?

Dr. Satyadeo Choubey

Pulmonologist

Posted on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: my father aged 67 years suffering from ILD since feb 2011. he is living with help of oxyzen concentrator. day before yesterday his HRCT Chest reports showed that Axial scans of chest at Imm thickness were obtained. Reduced lung volumes noted. The lung parenchyma 'shows diffuse septal thickening along the bronchi, fissures and subpleural reginons with architectural distortion. Bilateral upper and lower lobes show subpleual fibrosis with honeycombing with large areas of traction bronchiectasis and cysts predominantly involving lower lobes.. No evidence of fluid in the pleural space. The trachea is normal. The tracheal bifurcation are normal. my question is can my father be treated and any theropy ...?
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 1 hour later
Brief Answer: pirfenidone can be tried Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. CT scan picture is suggestive of advanced form of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. (One of the form of ILD). Treatment options at this stage is only symptomatic especially oxygen therapy, proton pump inhibitors for acid reflux, treatment of pulmonary hypertension if present... ...Some drug therapy like pirfenidone 200 mg thrice daily may be tried. Others are N-acetyl cysteine, azathioprine and steroids. The only curative treatment is lung transplantation but its cost, availability and longer waiting period matters a lot... Best wishes