Suffering from Hypertension. Can I consume Chia seeds and flax seeds daily?

Meenakshi
Meenakshi Attrey

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Diet Plans
Question: I am suffering from Hypertension .Can I consume Chia seeds & Flax seeds daily in my diet.
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 48 hours later
Brief Answer: Both Chia seed and flax seeds are good for heart Detailed Answer: Hello Mr. XXXXXXX Thank you for posting the query. Both Chia seed and Flax seeds are rich in fiber and good fats ( omega 3 fatty acids) and are not contraindicated in hypertension. Infact, these seeds promote heart health. However, it is important that you keep the sodium intake under check. Salt is the most common source of this mineral, other sources include packed and preserved foods, bakery items like cakes and cookies etc. Always read the labels of the prepacked foods to get an idea about its salt / sodium content. Avoid the salted snacks and deep fried foods. Saturated ( animal fats) and trans fats (read labels) should also be avoided. Unsaturated plant fats like vegetable oils can be taken in moderation. Include more salads, vegetables, fruits and other raw foods in the diet and drink plenty of water and other low calorie drinks, regular exercises and sufficient sleep is also very important. Hope I answered your query. Meenakshi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad