Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Suffering from GERD. Having pain, discomfort and burning sensation in throat. Should I consult a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5762 Questions
I suffer from GERD. My throat is still raw and inflamed from acid sitting in my throat while asleep last night. I've tried water and baking soda as well as drinking milk to help calm the burning sensation. While it doesn't burn as badly, I'm still having pain and discomfort. Should I see a doctor today or let it pass?
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

You didnt mention if you have any diagnostics of GERD or it was recognized only by symptoms. It is strongly recommended to have upper GI endoscopy when such symptoms appear as acid reflux can be a symptom of peptic ulcer, Helicobacter Pylori infection and even stomach cancer. That is why such symptoms should not be neglected.
It seem that there is nothing urgent right now, but you need to make appointment to see your doctor as either your treatment does not work or you have been not diagnosed property.
You didnt also mentioned if you were prescribed with any medicines (I assume you were not). You should be prescribed with medicines blocking acid secretion.
To make acid reflux less disturbing you should reduce fatty foods, reduce coffee, soft drinks, fruit juices and chocolate intake. Do not eat two hours before sleeping and put your head little higher when sleeping.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor