Suffering from COPD for long time. Now have throat infection. Taking levoday. Advice?

Dr. Enrique Molina

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Has been having COPD for the past 5 years but is able to go about his daily routine with2puff of Formatide and TIOVA every morning. Recently three days back picked up a throat infection and phelmg in the lungs and today had to take an extra formative inhaler due to breathing discomfort. He started 500mg og Levoday this morning is the once a day dosage enough or shd he take it twice a day.pls advice for how many days also.thank u
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later
Levofloxacin (Levoday) is given once a day, and 500mg is an adequate dosage, and should not be given more than once a day. He should start feeling better after 24-48 hours of receiving the antibiotic.
Sometimes when patients with COPD get an infection, they need something more than the regular inhalers they take at home (he is currently on formatide and TIOVA), and they may work better with a nebulizer machine and give at least albuterol this route (if you have it available). If he is having too much trouble breathing he should go into the hospital to get antibiotics intravenously and nebulizer treatments, otherwise continue the antibiotic by mouth and his regular inhalers and he should start feeling better soon.
Hope that helped.
Follow up: Dr. Enrique Molina 8 hours later
Thank u. 500mg of Levoday once a day should be continued for minimum of how many days?
For at least 5 days, but depending on the severity of the infection, it could be required for a longer period of time if the infection is more severe (10 - 14 days).
However keep in mind that sometimes the bug (bacteria) causing the infection can be "resistant" to the antibiotic, therefore there is a slight possibility that Levoday won't work completely, and an alternate antibiotic would be required (from a different category of antibiotics). This should be closely monitored by the pulmonologist.