Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Suffering from Bipolar disorder. Looking for a suitable form of contraception

May 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4909 Questions
I have Bipolar disorder and am looking for a suitable form of contraception. My boyfriend has a latex allergy and also seems to have a reaction to the latex free condoms so they are out. I have had a coil before but got a strep B infection and had to have it removed. I also had an implant but unfortunately became pregnant and subsequently had a miscarriage. I really feel like I am out of options apart from a pill but am worried that hormones might affect my BP symptoms. I really want a form of contraception that is easy to use but won't interfere with my moods in any way. Can you help?
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 hours later
thanks for the query.

you consult your gynecologist once and discuss following options and then with her advice you can choose one of them,

- Injections like depo-medroxyprogesterone acetate, which can be used monthly or 3 months once,
-Non hormonal IUD like copper containing,
-You can try natural methods like,
withdrawal method,
By following ovulation,
by rhythm method, or body temparature method you can have sex during safe period of the cycle.
-progesterone only pills are sometimes useful.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor