Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Suffering form upper left abdominal pain. What test should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions

I am suffering form upper left abdominal pain just below my ribs, recently it is radiating to my left Hypochondriac region and left arm. I recently undergone Ultrasound and my pancreas and spleen are adviced to me as normal. Pain comes and goes, severity is increasing recently. Please advice me what tests should I undergo to diagnose. I had endoscopy done 2 years before for GERD and was normal.I stopped PPI’s after endoscopy.
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
There are a number of possibilities which need to be considered.
1. Left renal colic. This will require a plain x XXXXXXX KUB to be done and if required a USG of the KUB region.
2. If assocaited with constipation then a course of stool softners will help.
3. Peptic ulcer disease will require a endoscopy to be done .
4. cardiac cause for pain needs to be ruled out by doing as stress ECG evaluation.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor