Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Suffering breathing problem and throat irritation. Advised surgery for deviated nose and CT scan. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2349 Questions
My Father has been suffering from breathing problem, he is unable to breathe properly especially during sleep (when he lies flat on the bed) and has throat irritation too.

One of the doctor has advised for a surgery as there is slight deviation in his nose and has recommended for a CT scan for more analysis.

Need to be sure if CT scan and surgery are necessary
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

The breathing difficulty during sleep also called as 'obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome' could be due to various causes such as falling back of the tongue, obesity, laxity of the neck muscles, nasal block, etc.

I need to know whether he is having nasal block only or breathing difficulty along with snoring. Because both are different entities which need to be dealt in different ways.

Before planning for a CT scan and the surgery, we need to consider various other facts and find out the level of obstruction. Secondly, modification of the sleep posture and the life style changes can help in reducing the problems.

The throat discomfort is due to mouth breathing and drying of the mucosa of the throat secondary to the former. I am not sure whether your father is suffering from acid reflux problems, if so, then acid reflux could be another reason for the throat irritation.

My suggestions to him are:
1. To drink plenty of warm water, this keeps the tissues hydrated and reduces the nasal block as well as throat discomfort.

2. To lie one one side, preferably on the left side. This will prevent the tongue from falling back and prevent obstruction at the level of the throat.

3. To use a bigger pillow, so as to, increase the head elevation and prevent the tongue from falling back.

4. Avoid excessive coffee, tea and smoking if any.

5. To use saline nasal spray 3-4 times a day to keep the nose moist and prevent nasal block.

6. If he is obese, he needs to reduce his weight first; this will put an end to many of his problems.

Hope with these measures he should be alright. Revert back to me if you have any further queries, I will be eager to help you.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering breathing problem and throat irritation. Advised surgery for deviated nose and CT scan. Suggest? 26 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for the advise, I have told all the points that you have suggested to my father and he has confirmed that he has been practising them from quite some time but hasnt seen any changes.

I suggest if I could fix him an appointment with you or any concerned specialist who is available at Hyderabad at the earliest as he unable to sleep during nights.

Your reply will help us take a quick decision on his surgery.


Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Welcome back

If your father has tried all of the above mentioned procedures and the doctor thinks the deviated nasal septum is the root cause for all his problems; then go ahead and get the surgery done

I stay in Doha, hence it is not possible for you to consult me. You can contact one of the renowned ENT specialist in Hyderabad:

Dr. Vinnakota Sriprakash MS ENT
Specialist ENT Head & Neck Micro Surgeon
Address : Microcare ENT Hospital & Research Institute
Laser Treatment Centre
Nose Cosmetic surgery Centre
Road No: 4, MIG: 241,
1st clinic in Road no.4, Besides Remedy Hospital,
KPHB, Kukatpally,
Tel 91- 040- 0000, 0000
Mobile 91- 0000 0000
Fax 040- 0000

I wish your father good health. All the best.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor