Suffered transient global amnesia and got bleeding disorder. Feeling tired. Is this a genetic problem?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Genetics
Question: My mom, 74, has just been told she has a bleeding disorder. WE don't know what yet. She's seeing a speciallist and they just keep drawing blood.First she was on a statan drug which messed up her liver enzimes. Then she suffered Transient Global Amnesia. Then she began the bleeding problem, which is excsessive, hard to stop bleeding. And now she feeels tired. Not nauseas, no wt. loss, nothing but what I've put here. I doubt she's anemic. We also donn't know of her parents having a blood problem. So unless her dad did, un-diagnosed, it can't be inherited. Any ideas? XXXXXXX Deuling
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Impaired liver function could often be a cause of bleeding.
It is not so probably in your mother’s case and hence they are searching further.

It is difficult, if not impossible, to rule in or rule out the role of inheritance.
There are more than a dozen clotting factors...
There are an equal number of other related issues...
Each one of the deficiencies may have a wide range...

Absence of symptom is no proof of absence of disease / many may be silent.
Her parents had no obvious problem – is no guarantee she may not have inherited.
Recessive characters generally do not manifest...
Even inherited, the ‘expression’ is variable in individuals...
Also, environmental factors may modify the manifestation..
There are other genes that may mask or compensate...

It is not possible to do all the investigations at one time.
It is a lot of blood, money, inconvenience and expertise...
More tests are planned on the results of previous tests.

Hence, they are taking blood on more than one occasion..
The aim of an investigation is to modify the treatment based on the results. Investigation is must for proper diagnosis.
Proper diagnosis is a must for proper treatment..
One should not miss a treatable cause...
I think, they are on the right track. Relax. Have confidence.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck