Owl Image

Suffered from slip disc L5 S1. Having pain in lower back. What should I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I suffered from slip disc L5 S1, during march/april, I was under phisio therapy and rest for 2 months. Now on back and stomach exercises. its almost 4-5 months that i am doing the back & Stomach strengthing exercises daily morning for almost 40-50mins. I still have some pain in lower back, left side. and some strain in thigh lower side especially below the knee( the muscle over there seems to be straining while stretching some time while walking.
Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 minutes later
The symptoms of acute slip disc do improve on medical treatment and regular physiotherapy. It is good that you are doing the back and stomach strengthening exercises regularly.
The mild pain that is still there is likely to be due to mechanical back pain. Taking muscle relaxants in combination with mild pain killers will help you. Doing a hot fomentation and applying a local analgesic gel on the affected area will also help in providing a relief.
You can start with swimming and mild aerobic exercises. These do help a lot in the back pain and improving the pain in the calves due to stress. Do adequate warming up before starting the exercises daily.
Taking calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements will also help in early recovery. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.