Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Suffered from slip disc L5 S1. Having pain in lower back. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10445 Questions
I suffered from slip disc L5 S1, during march/april, I was under phisio therapy and rest for 2 months. Now on back and stomach exercises. its almost 4-5 months that i am doing the back & Stomach strengthing exercises daily morning for almost 40-50mins. I still have some pain in lower back, left side. and some strain in thigh lower side especially below the knee( the muscle over there seems to be straining while stretching some time while walking.
Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
The symptoms of acute slip disc do improve on medical treatment and regular physiotherapy. It is good that you are doing the back and stomach strengthening exercises regularly.
The mild pain that is still there is likely to be due to mechanical back pain. Taking muscle relaxants in combination with mild pain killers will help you. Doing a hot fomentation and applying a local analgesic gel on the affected area will also help in providing a relief.
You can start with swimming and mild aerobic exercises. These do help a lot in the back pain and improving the pain in the calves due to stress. Do adequate warming up before starting the exercises daily.
Taking calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements will also help in early recovery. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor