Suffered from pubic symphysis. Was given pitocin during child birth. Normal?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: Is it normal to go into the hospital at 6cm dilated and then the nurse give you pitocin without your consent? I recently found out by obtaining my medical records that I was given pitocin during childbirth but was never told why. I also suffered damage to my pubic symphysis and L5-s1 disc.

My delivery was in 2009. After years of complaining, painful intercourse, inability to hold urine, numbness in my legs, people are now listening. I now have a herniated disc with an annular tear, degenerative pubic symphysis with spurring and lots of pain. I bleed on a regular basis. After I had my baby I experienced 60/40 blood pressure and massive blood loss. My baby's head was very big for my small frame. There is narrowing of the pubic symphysis. Should my doctor have known to do a c section? Why was I induced? I had a normal pregnancy. I was dilated about 3 cm in month 7 and continued that way until delivery. I began contracting on my own at week 39. My child birth was very traumatic for me and I am still paying the price. Any suggestions? Was I maltreated or is this normal for delivery?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
At 6 cm dilatation, it is expected that the head must have descended low enough and a normal delivery is likely. You were already in active labour when you were given pitocin. This augmentation is necessary if the membranes have ruptured already to prevent any infections to the baby and the mother.
If the descent of head was normal at that time, then normal delivery is done as a first line of management.
The treatment given to you depends on the assessment done by the nurse at the time of your admission. It is unfortunate that it was a traumatic delivery.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 hours later
My water was broken at 9 cm. My membranes were not ruptured at the time I was given pitocin. Should I not have been consented or told why it was given to me?

Is it also normal for the force of the contractions due to pitocin to cause lasting issues in the pubuc symphysis or rupture L5-S1?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Sudden forceful contractions can cause pubic symphysis problems but is not likely to cause rupture L5-S1.
Ideally patient should be informed about the augmentation of pains by Pitocin and if the membranes are not ruptured then usually pitocin is not required unless the contractions are too mild and irregular.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.