Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Suffered from general anxiety disorder, have been to many psychiatrist and on medicines. Suggestions to get rid of them

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1851 Questions
I am 27 yrs old & My Psychiatrist suggested me that i am suffering from Generalised anxity disorder.The whole story startrd from 2001 when i was in class 12.Actually we used to live in colony where my neighbour have son of my age.My father & mother always used to compare with me.Perhaps i was not so intelligent as he was.This created painful situation in my life.When i was preparing for IIT ,i could not cracked it & i was in very tension & gradually i started to suffer from insomnia.,Doctor of near by suggested sleeping pills till 2003.After that i was not intrested to XXXXXXX any one or talk to any one.My family member took me to very good Psychiatrist who suggested me that i am suffering from depression .Till 2010 i have changed Psychiatrist but they are no longer in mood to stop medicine.At present i am Mechanical engineer in Indian oil corporation limited with good wife & 2.5 month year oil male baby.I become tense very fast & have not enough courage to fight with tough situation.Please suggest me any theraphy or suggestion which can help me to get rid of medicine.Earlier also i have visited Psychologist ,they have suggested PMR theraphy but i do not followed it.please suggest me any method.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Mania
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Anxiety disorder is is long term illness (like hypertension or diabetes) and occur because of biochemical imbalance in brain. Most commonly due to serotonin deficiency in brain.

Medicine control the symptoms by stabilizing biochemical imbalance but doses not cure illness. So in long duration illness, life long treatment may be needed.

In your case with treatment some symptoms are still remaining. Due to that you still need continuation of treatment.

In psychological treatment (non drug treatment) relaxation therapy and cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) is needed. But these therapy need regular follow up with trained therapist and regular practice. There is chances to control symptoms without drug with these therapies. But these therapy difficult to follow and people tend to stop them in between. It is also difficult to get trained therapist in CBT.

I hope this answer your query. Should you have any additional concerns, let me know. I will be glad to assist you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffered from general anxiety disorder, have been to many psychiatrist and on medicines. Suggestions to get rid of them 20 hours later
Dear sir,
one thing i want to know that whether i have to take medicine for all life long or it can be stopped after a certain period.My doctor told me that total course of GAD is of 3 years & after 4-5 yrs you can lead good life & after that you have to start again the anti .depressant .I want to get rid of medicine thats why i have heard that Psychologist may help by CBT & REBT.But it is true that such pepole are very tough to find out & take timely follow up.Next i always feel that my heart beats some little bit faster than other body is there any chance of heart attack.
At last i would like to know how can i lead best tenure of my life.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 14 hours later
Hello again,

Having increase heart rate can occur in most commonly in following conditions:
-Cardiac illness

So, it is better to rule out cardiac and thyroid condition by examination and investigation by physician. If it is not related to cardiac condition, then do not worry about heart attack.

In anxiety disorders when symptoms are in control for 2-3 years on treatment then there are chances for having natural remission of anxiety. But it is not true for all cases and some time treatment need to continue for many years, may be lifelong in few cases.

I hope this answers your query.

Wish you good health,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor