Suffered a concussion. Experiencing headache and dizziness. Should I consult a doctor?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Question: My daughter suffered a concussion 2 weeks ago. Had a ct no bleeding. Has since been experiencing headaches and now a right eye twitch an dizziness. We r out of the country in Mexico . Should I take her to a dr. here? Or is this par for the course and can wait til we get back to the US?
Thanks
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Your daughter seems to be suffering from a Post-concussion syndrome (PCS). This is a set of symptoms which persons experience after sustaining a concussion. The main and commonest symptom in PCS is frequent headaches. Dizziness is the second commenest symptom and can be seen in about half the persons with a concussion. There can also be other physical symptoms like blurred vision, hypersensitivity to light and noise, fatigue, sleep disturbances, etc. Behavioural symptoms such as irritability, anxiety, mood swings, etc. are also common. The symptoms usually start within a week of the head injury and usually last for a few weeks, sometimes months.

So, the symptoms which your daughter is having is indeed part of the expected course of a concussion. Since the CT Brain scan is normal, you don't have to worry much about this. It should be okay to wait till you get back to the US. In the meantime, you can give her mild analgesics like paracetamol or cocodamol and ensure that she gets proper rest and adequate sleep.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Neuro-Psychiatrist