Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

128 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suffered a concussion. Experiencing headache and dizziness. Should I consult a doctor?

Answered by
Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar


Practicing since :2003

Answered : 2190 Questions

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Question: My daughter suffered a concussion 2 weeks ago. Had a ct no bleeding. Has since been experiencing headaches and now a right eye twitch an dizziness. We r out of the country in Mexico . Should I take her to a dr. here? Or is this par for the course and can wait til we get back to the US?
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Your daughter seems to be suffering from a Post-concussion syndrome (PCS). This is a set of symptoms which persons experience after sustaining a concussion. The main and commonest symptom in PCS is frequent headaches. Dizziness is the second commenest symptom and can be seen in about half the persons with a concussion. There can also be other physical symptoms like blurred vision, hypersensitivity to light and noise, fatigue, sleep disturbances, etc. Behavioural symptoms such as irritability, anxiety, mood swings, etc. are also common. The symptoms usually start within a week of the head injury and usually last for a few weeks, sometimes months.

So, the symptoms which your daughter is having is indeed part of the expected course of a concussion. Since the CT Brain scan is normal, you don't have to worry much about this. It should be okay to wait till you get back to the US. In the meantime, you can give her mild analgesics like paracetamol or cocodamol and ensure that she gets proper rest and adequate sleep.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Neuro-Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Neuro trauma

doctor1 MD

A door and my left forehead collided Thursday morning. I do have a concussion. Haven t been to emergency. My head still hurts; feels like it does with a fever. Feel pressure around my left eye. Eyes feel better closed. Is this natural progression of a concussion or should I got emergency?

doctor1 MD

My friend was beaten up a few weeks ago and his head was stamped on which caused an acute subdural hematoma. He was left 4 about an hour b4 the ambulance was called but before the got there he d gone into a coma. He had brain surgery but now he s in the vegetative state. Wil he ever come out of this?? He also had to have some of his brain removed because it was in his neck and was just mush..What are his chances..

doctor1 MD

My husband suffered a head injury last year from falling off of a roof. His skull was fractured and he had some bleeding on the brain.

This morning he woke up dizzy, sweating and with nausia. Could this be a result of the fall this far out? Please help.

doctor1 MD

I was having pounding headaches at the base of my head where i couldn't even look down. I never had high blood pressure before in fact it is normally low. My blood pressure is 170 over 98, I did have a fall off a chair at work a month ago so they are doing a head scan to see if it isn't a post concussion. What do you think it could be?

doctor1 MD

I am a 65 years old woman. About 10 years back, I fell down from a stool with my head hitting the floor of living room in my house. Although I did not feel much pain at that time and I was alright since then. But nowadays, from the past one month,...

doctor1 MD

Hello sir My uncle got below situation: Fresh non hemorrhagic infracts on day - 1, involving both half of cerebellar hemisphere, left occipital & temporal region, right half of pons. After 2 days treatment with Enoxaparion, fresh MRI indicates...

doctor1 MD

Hi a little over 24 hours ago i fell asleep at my dining room table. Sadly, I fell out of the chair and hit my forhead on the floor, which is concrete. Ouch is right... Pretty sure I woke up right before it happened, woke up from my sleep. After I...