Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Suffer upper neck and shoulder pain. Mri scan of cervical spine shows diffuse degenerative changes. What to do?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Oncologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 576 Questions
Hi dr XXXXXXX Khandelwal, oncologist My mri-of servical spine
Histort:48 year old female,upper neck and shoulder pain for 6 months,radiation down arms,radiculophaty.
A non-contrast mri scan of cervical spine shows diffuse degenerative changes.
C4-C5 shows left central dysvopphyte with minimal cord impigment with aut myelomalcia.
The C5-C6 shows moderateright centraldyscophyte causing moderate cord impigment with aut myelomacia.There is moderate to severe bileteral forminal narrowing impigning both exiting C6 nerve roots.
TheC6-C7 shows dyscophate formation causing mild to moderete cord impingment.There is severe left forminal narrowing impiging the exitind left C7 nerve root.There is moderete right forminal narrowing.
Diffuse degerativne changes.The canges are moderate to severe at the C5-C6 andC6-C7 level causing cord impigment with aut mylomalcia as describe.In addition,there is marked forminal narrowing atC5-C6 levels bileteraly and left C6-C7 level impinging the exiting nerve root.
Mri thorasic spine:
A non- contrast mri of thoracic spine shows diffuse mild to moderate degenerative changes more pronaunced in lowervthoracic spine including disc space narrowing, disc degeneration,osteophyte formation and facetchypertrophy.
The T7-T8 shows tiny right central disc herniation with aut cord or nerve root impigment.No other significent abnormality.
I did contact you back in march if you remember with shoulder mri and problems.
Mybproblems are from beagining my both arms more right and neck problems including lower backband upper pain .this is happening from last summer i lockt my shoulder doing somthing then year beafore ibfelt and injured right hand and back.
All time from last year i have pain in wrist elbow,fingers shoulder tingling tru arm pins and needles more right side righ fist i cant close anymore and weenes i went to neurologist in march for testing nervs kcm-mashine testing he said my nervs are fine .After mri of spine they said it did not do from shoulder means shoulder did not do this to my neck then my question "what causes to i have this with spine "when this happen if you can pausle all of this .Thank you your's E.I.
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 11 days later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I remember you history of shoulder pains from the past. Your spine MRI's are suggestive of severe degenerative changes, which unfortunately, cannot be reversed completely. An orthoppedic surgeon can perform surgery to stabilise the spine, so that further damage to the nerves does not take place. You should consult a orthopedician and also a physiotherapist to teach you exercises to strengthen your back muscles.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffer upper neck and shoulder pain. Mri scan of cervical spine shows diffuse degenerative changes. What to do? 6 hours later
Thank you for caming back to me my gp reffer me back to neurologist and reason is my eye specialist wont's him to get me back she suspect i may have horner syndrom on one eye and meby it is bronchial plexus i sent same neurologoist my spine mri never get back to me then i told my gp she said he olredy check you for that on kcm neurologist test he rule aut carpel t. S. and bronch.plex. I told her he also said my nervs are fine bat after his evaluetion came they are not like that (i did mri of spine after neurologist exam) and maby that mashine is not always 100 procent.She said nothing mach abaut that.
At the time i went to reumatologist last friday he wach all my papers check me for long time he said whay she sent me to him he will write her that i clerly having carpel tunel syndrom i told him they rule aut that he said it is wrong i have that and gave mi to do some blood work done said if blood showw somthing he will call me back i ask him isn't he doctor for artritis(beacouse i have there osteoartritis and problems with joints) he said nothing jast he can give me needle i said thank you gp can give me to when i don't neead to came back.(possibly)
I went to do blood test it wos somthing hul- 27 ant stop by gp she said will see what this one will write and told her agein abaut carpel tunel she said she sent refferal to neurologist bat she never told me that beafore and she said you are not for reumatologist he treating jastreumatoid artritis i told her my mascule were so stiff like in spasam for capule days i hardly wolk bat she said no bissnis for me at reumatologist he olso said my blood press. Wos 156/ she check today 2 times it wos lover then that120/ bat i did not take any medicine since he told me on friday she said keep taiking med.I also ask abat neurosrgen should i have one she said no .
Tell me what you think abaut all your opinion!
Thank you your' trulyE.I.
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 11 hours later
Dear Ma'am,

Thank you for asking your question and sorry for the delayed response. Considering your problem, you should fix an appointment with a spine surgeon (orthopedician or neurosurgeon) and a neurologist. Neurologist would just be able to give you medicines and rule out Horner's syndrome. The spine surgeon would be able to tell you if surgery would reduce the symptoms and nerve damage or not. For your blood pressure, you should take regular anti-hypertensives.

Hoping for the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor