Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Suffer pain in upper stomach especially after eating or drinking. Help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5762 Questions
pain upper stomach ,right side under rib cage,especially after eating or drinking water! past 3 months? she keeps a very strict diet all her life ,no red meat,veg,fish.chicken and fruit weighy same for 40 yrs. 5'9 120 lbs.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stones in bile ducts or peptic ulcer.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Such pain can be caused by gallstones in bile ducts or by peptic ulcer.
If the pain radiates to the back and is similar to the gallbladder stones pain, bile ducts stones are most probably. Especially that she have had gallbladder removed due to stones.
If the pain does not radiate to the back, peptic ulcer is the most probable reason. It is very characteristic for this pain to appear after a meal or even drinking.

I suggest her to visit a doctor. Blood work, liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP) should be done at first. If bile ducts wont be distended, and liver tests will be fine, gastroscopy should be next.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor