Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Suffer increased heart rate. Complains chest pain. Under stress. Had endocervical cancer. Suggestions?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
My sister is 67 and eats a pretty healthy diet, She has been having episodes of increased heart rate into the 120's with a BP 0f 100-110/70's. She also has episodes where her heart rate is in the 80's with an increase in BP to the 160's/90's. She was in the hospital and it was revealed that she would have some PVC's and then go into the accelerated HR. She also complains of pain in her chest through to her back. This wakes her at night several times. They did a whole host of blood tests and then wanted to give her an antidepressant (which she is not depressed) but does become anxious when she experiences the high HR. She takes a lot of Tum's daily. She has been under a lot of stress for the past 2 years. But cant afford the Dr.s bills. She had endocervical cancer at 39 and has a deductible of $5000,oo a year and pays high premiums monthly with truly bad coverage. She also wore a holter monitor while she was in the hospital for 3 days...but cant afford the docs fee to return..knowing that she will have to pay for an office visit frequently. I was wondering if magnesium would be helpful and at what dose. She weighs about 150lbs. And if foods with glutamate has any thing to do with it...she really does not eat processed food but makes soups with bullion cubes and eats a lot of tuna. I am at a loss...she cant afford repeated doc visits. Any thoughts?
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I believe she might be suffering from PUD

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

If I deduce from your description, it is most likely that his chest pain that goes to the back is due to peptic ulcer diseases or gastritis which is characterized by centralized pain midway through the chest or around the xyphoid cartilage or epigastrium to the back. Usually burning or squeezing type pain. Severe PUD can result to palpitations (elevated pounding heart rate). I do not also think antidepressant should be considered first hand without trying to treat a possible existing condition.
Also his heart's condition needs to be evaluated but since she is not with full medical coverage it will be kind of hard, so I believe we should go with PUD as the cause of her pain, then see what it results to. Taking of antacids such as aluminium hydroxide or magnesium hydroxide associated to proton pump inhibitors (e.g omeprazole) could help relief the pain and heal the existing ulcer. Magnesium hydroxide 2 tablets twice/trice daily could help her.
Magnesium supplements can be useful for fatigue but will not be helpful for that kind of pain. A well balanced diet can also do the trick and since you mentioned that she eats healthy, I do not see the need to take magnesium supplement.
If pain is not subdued, then it will be wise to see a doctor as soon as you can.
She might not even have to see a doctor more than ones if the condition is determined effectively.

Hope this helps and wish you both the best.
Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffer increased heart rate. Complains chest pain. Under stress. Had endocervical cancer. Suggestions? 3 hours later
Thank you very much for responding so quickly. My thoughts about the magnesium was that it could be related to her frequent PVC's which would start the tacycardia. I would appreciate your thought on this. Regards and appreciation, XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your welcome

Detailed Answer:

Well magnesium and potassium deficiency can instead lead to PVC but we can not possibly know that except if her serum levels are tested. There are numerous other possible causes of PVCs. Her doctor would have to scale down and detect the most likely.

Hope this helps and wish you both the best
Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor