Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Suffer hair loss problem and hair thinning. Suggest oil for treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2609 Questions
i am facing some hair los problem from front and centre of the skull. my hair has become very thin and results in hair loss. pls sugest some good oil or home made trearments to remove this problem.
most of the doctors here are conducting tests and running a business in the name of treatment. usually theses treatments costs more the 15k rupees..pls advice.
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later

I understand your concern regarding your hair problem and I hope I will be able to help you for the same.

First of all, I would like you to know that we as allopathic doctors believe more in treating our patients with the scientifically proven drugs. We usually do not advocate home therapies or treatments for any condition.

Now your problem is that of male pattern hair loss.

Such a pattern of hair loss is seen in males and various factors are responsible for the same. There factors include genetic, hormonal
as well as familial factors.

Now there is not much required to be investigated in your case as the diagnosis is quite clear .

Now as far as the treatment options are available, there are very limited treatment options in the form of medical therapy for your condition.

These include topical drugs like minoxidil , finasteride, topical steroids and biotin complexes.
Among the commonly used agents , most dermatologists prefer to use minoxidil first in all such cases.
Oral therapy can also be given.

But I would like you to be aware of the fact that the topical treatment in such cases tend to continue for lifetime.
Results may wary from patient to patient but continuous usage of the drugs is very essential.

Then the last option is hair transplant about which you must be familiar.

I would advise you to see a dermatologist who can assess the grade of hair loss in your case and can advise you accordingly regarding the best treatment option available.

If you have any other query, please let me know.

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor