Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Suffer from irregular periods. Have intense low abdominal pain. Stomach feels bloated and uncomfortable. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 7255 Questions
I am a 45 year old female. For the past 4 months my periods have been irregular- at times only 2 weeks between, once 20 days in between and at the moment I have been bleeding at differing levels of heaviness for 15 days. I have had 2 episodes where I have had intense lower abdominal pain (in the front and back). My stomach constantly feels bloated and uncomfortable and I am very gassy. I am not feeling 100% and feeling low in my mood.
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely peri-menopausal changes.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us.

Considering your age, your menstrual changes can be attributed to peri-menopausal changes. Yet, you should get a complete evaluation by a gynecologist along with a trans-vaginal sonogram, pap smear, blood counts and urinalysis. This will help both as a routine evaluation which is needed at this age as well as to exclude organic causes of bleeding.

During the peri-menopausal stage, it is common for mood swings, feeling of abdominal discomfort as part of increased gaseous distension; gastritis should be ruled out.

Some alterations in your daily routine can help a lot in managing the symptoms. Start your day with a little prayer, some exercise and meditation; follow it up with intake of fresh fruits and plenty of water. Try to eat small frequent meals with plenty of fresh vegetables; avoid oily foods and sweets. Always keep your surroundings cool and comfortable; wear loose fitting comfortable clothing. Try to avoid stress and while dealing with stressful situations, always remember to allow yourself some break.

Your doctor may prescribe you hormonal supplementation if your symptoms are severe enough to warrant. If there is any organic cause for the bleeding like a cyst or fibroid or a cervical erosion, it will be dealt with. You may be given antacids and digestives to relieve bloating. Sometimes, antibiotics will be needed if an infection is located anywhere.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor