question-icon

Suffer from hypertension and weakness. Does meth use cause thyroid problem?

Posted on Wed, 10 Apr 2013
Question: Hi,
Can i develop thyroid disease after using meth for a short period of time? I have stopped using meth now after a withdrawal episode. I don't have any physical symptom of thyroid like goiter, but i recently have hypertension and feeling weak.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T (47 days later)

Yes, there are chances wherein endocrine glands like Thyroid can be affected due to consumption of Methamphetamine.

Well, if you do not have any symptoms of thyroid hormone disturbance, such endocrine dysfunctions due to meth could have not occurred.

It is always safe to avoid such drugs and get you thyroid profile to be sure of its health.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Raju A.T