Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Suffer from heartburn, nervousness and fast breathing. Have anxiety and shivering. Peculiar problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1852 Questions
HI , I AM SUFFERING FROM FAST HEARTBEAT , EXTRA NERVOUSNESS , FAST BREATHING , SHIVERING anxiety ,AND I AM IN VERY MUCH TROUBLE FROM PAST 5 YEARS , I START FEELING AFRAID AND THE PROBLEM INCREASES WHEN I AM IN CROWD OR SEE ANYONE , BE IT KNOWN OR UNKNOWN ,i dont feel good within , ITS A VERY PECULIAR PROBLEM AND I AM NOT ABLE TO LIVE , PLZ SUGGEST WHAT TO DO - GIVE A LIFE, due to this problem i am unable to visit any place , do any work , i am not able to lead a normal life and i stay in this stress 24 hrs , do u think i am suffering from a big disease , which type of doctor should i visit
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 55 minutes later
Thanks for your query.
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

From your description, we should strongly suspect presence of anxiety disorder with agoraphobia. Severity of anxiety may vary time to time, in your case it is associated with outside visit. That is why your symptoms improved with Petril which also have anti anxiety effect. Untreated cases of anxiety may lead to depression.

Other symptoms of anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth.

Anxiety occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter. Anxiety is best treated by specialist like psychiatrist. It is not clear if you received any treatment in past, but believe me people life changes after treatment.

There is need for treatment, if symptoms cause significant personal distress or affect personal/professional life. Both drug and non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) are used for treatment. Choice of treatment depends on severity of symptoms, personal preference and availability of treatment.

In drug treatment of anxiety two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines (like petril) are used for short duration (due to risk of dependence). For long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect, till that time benzodiazepines control the anxiety symptoms.

All these process is complex. I have just simplified it to make you understand it. So, it is best to XXXXXXX psychiatrist early, for treatment.

Apart from above advice following simple measures will help you:
-Decrease worrying by keeping yourself busy and distracted from worrisome thoughts by talking to family members or watching T.V. or counting back (100 to 0).
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk
-Breathing exercise, yoga and meditation (which you can learn from some expert in person)

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffer from heartburn, nervousness and fast breathing. Have anxiety and shivering. Peculiar problem? 28 minutes later
dear doctor ,

you are right i face nervousness, restlessness, too much irritability, excessive worry but not regarding own health,it generally concerned abt family ( i dnt worry abt myself but this problem has risen so much , you can say water is above head and i am not been able to concentrate on work and it has kept me back from progressing in all fields, i am unable to drive car or ride a motor bike as i fear an accident due to this problem , i get nervous and numb with any loud voice and that all mentioned problems starts and believe me its really bad , if you cut my 1 hand, i am ok with it as the pain is for once but this problem terrorizes me very hard and i cant take it anymore , yes tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache is too often say 15 times a month and i take flexon for it, sleep disturbance- i dnt get normal sleep, palpitation and dry mouth, i have itching in chest and all this problems have kept me aloof from society , family , friends as i dnt talk much which is taken as arrogance by rest, i have mentioned frankly 98% of my problems and i desire that since you are understanding my problem - can you solve that personally in XXXXXXX , i stay in kolkata and i want to get rid of this problem as quickly as possible, so plz guide and englighten me with the process for as how long can the treatment last

thanks in anticipation and being a guide - surely a blessing in disguise
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 53 minutes later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

From further information, It is clear that you have anxiety disorder and your most of the symptom related to it only. It is very much treatable condition with steps mentioned in primary reply with help of nearby psychiatrist.

I practice in Gurgaon (Delhi). It is better to XXXXXXX nearby doctor. Treatment for such problem is not a big task for psychiatrist. You just need to take first step in form of meeting them.

In Kolkata you can meet:
Dr. Arindam Mondal, MD Psychiatry (AIIMS, Delhi)
Apollo Gleneagles Hospital, off E.M. Bypass, opposite Salt Lake stadium, Kolkata
Monday TO Saturday, 10.00 AM to 5.00 PM
For appointments: (033) 2320 2003 / 2004 / 2006 / 2212 / 3040, Extn. 7731
Mobile: 0000 0000
website: WWW.WWWW.WW
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffer from heartburn, nervousness and fast breathing. Have anxiety and shivering. Peculiar problem? 4 minutes later
dear sir ,

one last and final query , will i be able to lead a normal life like others and can u recommend me to dr arindam so as the process is easy.

i highly appreciate you answers and will reccomend it to any 1 in need ,

also sir kindly refer me the best available doctor in kolkata , obviously mr arindam is best ????

kindly dnt take me wrong but understand my needs and perception

good work sir - god bless
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 11 minutes later

I had work with Dr Arindam Mondal. So, I know he can deal with your problems well. You can fix appointment with him by help of above information.

Do not worry, just take first stop and XXXXXXX doctor. I am very much sure that your problem will solve and you will lead happy life in future. God bless you.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor