Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Suffer from constipation, bloating and acidity. What to do?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
Hi I have been having problems with my digestion for many years ie main problem difficulty with straining to go and having to sit there and force it out sometimes . Recently in the last year I have had episodes of not going properly for a few days even though I eat a very healthy diet and eat lots to getting that feeling that I can't eat heavy meals as I feel I can't digest them well and I get very uncomfortable with fullness,acid bloating and now pains that feel like wind, then I have to go into the toilet and force myself to go and when I do I go lots but my stools at first are solid and very bulky and then I still feel that I have more to evacuate and when I sit there for another 5 or 10 minutes its as if I've cleared the way and I will go again and this feaces is softer and more normal . When this happens the toilet fills up so much it takes me about 5 or 6 flushes to eventually clear the toilet. I would really like your opinion as this seems to be getting worse
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query,

I am very pleased to be able to help you clarify your health problem and hope to be able to help with the situation.
From your description you are clearly suffering from indigestion/dyspepsia which leads to constipation. The causes of that related to your age might be as a result of:
- Peptic ulcer diseases or Acid reflux or GERD: This could be the main cause of your indigestion given that the stomach walls and/or duodenal wall required for digestion are damaged by excess acid secretion (or other causes such as alcohol, H. pylori infection etc). To confirm this you will be required to do an endoscopy after being examined by a gastroenterologist and you might also need to do other blood tests and stool analysis. If confirmed appropriate treatment might be given to heal the ulcer and also stool softeners could be included to facilitate defecation. Ones ulcer is healed, proper digestion will take it course.
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS): Is another most likely cause of your indigestion. Other causes will have to be excluded.
- Stomach cancer (very very rare): After excluding other possible causes (including IBS), your doctor will have to start investigating further on this.
- Intestinal parasitosis or stomach infections: Possible but rare cause. Stool analysis could reveal presence and effective treatment is available.
- Gastroparesis: a condition where the stomach doesn't empty properly; this often occurs in diabetics. Well you are not diabetic, so that cause could immediately be excluded.
The above mentioned are the most probable causes related to your age but other possible causes are available and will be excluded only after considerations of the above.
If your situation is getting worst, I suggest you seek immediate attention of a gastroenterologist or an internist who can determine the cause and begin immediate treatment.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions.
Please do accept my answer if you are satisfied.

Dr. Bernard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor