Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Suffer from chronic pancreatitis. Serum test showed trypsinogen level was 24. Stool is pale and hard to flush. Suggestions?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1524 Questions
Hello Doctor. Yes I do have a question. I suffer from chronic pancreatitis. It's been confirmed via a serum trypsinogen test. My serum trypsinogen level was 24, but has dropped to 7 which indicates chronic pancreatitis. My GI doctors in the past made a chronic pancreatitis diagnosis based on my low trypsinogen level alone and my symptoms.I've had multiple EUS's done on my pancreas which shows lobularity, hyperechoic strands,hyperechoic foci, accentuated lobular patterns, calcium,atrophy, and a coarse texture. These are the parenchymal changes that have been showing on many EUS's done on my pancreas. My stool is pale and hard to flush down the toilet. I had an EUS today and the doctor told me that it was normal with none of the changes shown in my other EUS's. He doesn't think I have chronic pancreatitis now. I asked that doctor if it was normal to have an atrophic pancreas.That same doctor told me that all old people's pancreases become atrophic. I am 49 years old. My other GI doctor told me before that the changes in my pancreas were irreversible. Should I believe her? Based on what you read, should I get a second opinion from a pancreas specialist?
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is chronic pancreatitis only

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Multiple EUS showing lobularity, hyperechoic strand and foci, deposition of calcium and atrophy and coarse echotexture confirms the presence of chronic pancreatitis beyond any doubt. And chronic pancreatitis is irreversible process.

Stool difficult to flush may suggest steatorrhea so I will advise you to get stool examination especially for fat. If it is present then you may have to start pancreatic enzymes oral preparation with meals. Also check your blood sugar levels

So to conclude I will suggest you to visit a pancreas specialist

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Remain in touch and get-well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor