Even though the sudden sensorineural hearing loss
resolves completely in most of the cases; medicines are prescribed for effective and early recovery.
The normal protocol followed is:
1. A course of oral steroid - to reduce any inflammation around the cochlear and auditory nerves.
2. A vasodilator such as pentoxifylline
- this helps in improving the micro-circulation surrounding the nerves, hence reducing the tinnitus
and faster recovery from hearing loss.
3. A Vitamin B-complex - for the nourishment of the nerves.
4. Hyperbaric oxygen.
5. Complete bed rest
for couple of days following sudden hearing loss.
6. Daily audiological assessment to note any improvement in hearing.
Please check the following references:
1. WWW.WWWW.WW 2. WWW.WWWW.WW
As it is more than 6-7 weeks since you had this problem and also your doctor is refusing to give a prescription for betahistine (to treat tinnitus), it is better to wait and watch for few more weeks.
I wish you good health.
Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon