Suddenly lost breath and felt sick in the stomach while playing. What could be causing this?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: I was playing with my dog night before last and hit my hand some how so hard, I lost my breath and felt sick to my stomach. The intense pain lasted for 15min (Im guessing)... I couldn't move it hurt so bad. There is no bruising that I can see. There is a lump just before my wrist on the top of my hand (middle finger). It doesn't hurt to move my hand. If you touch the area the pain is intense and then feels kinda weird afterward.. maybe a numbness.
Do you think I should have it looked at?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 55 minutes later

From the description it seems to be soft tissue injury or fracture with or without a nerve injury.

The lump present might be due to haematoma formation ( collection of blood ) due to rupture of microvasculature (the vessels) or bleeding from fracture end.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim, apply ice packs to the affected area,anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting any weights and rest well.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.
Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli