Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Suddenly felt heavy headed, pressure behind eyes and blurred vision. Migraine?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 349 Questions
I had an incident almost a week ago for the first time ever in my went all hazy, felt strange - left with a heavy head...since then (29/12/12) I have had strong pressure behind my eyes which has faded but not gone - moved to the top of eyeballs and round to the front of them and in the middle. Now have quite a pressured feeling on top of my head. Went to Drs and Opticians 2 days ago, pressure behind eyes normal and blood pressure bit low (normal for me). Told to take paracetemol and yesterday told to try sudafed. Concerned as to what it is...any ideas??? Dr suggested visual migraine? Never had migraines before...want to know what to do to get rid of pressure feeling in head and discomfort around and behind eyes...please advise what my next step is...Thanks XXXXXXX
Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 1 hour later
Thanks for the query.
At this age it is less likely to be the first episode of migraine. Migraine usually starts in younger age and can be diagnosed only when it is recurrent.
The stronger possibility is that of an attack of seizure. i would definitely like to do an EEG and MRI brain. The EEG will tell us about the electrical activity of the brain and the MRI will tell about the structural problems if any.
Paracetamol is likely to be helpful for relief of headache.
Since ears are feeling full so you can consult an ENT specialist for the same. He will be able to opine on both the ear and the sinus problems.
Hope that answers your query. If there are more questions I will be happy to answer.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suddenly felt heavy headed, pressure behind eyes and blurred vision. Migraine? 8 minutes later
Thanks for your reply. I am in the UK, do you suggest I go to my A&E dept and request a scan?? What do you mean by attack or seizure?? My vision is fine - but still have pressure behind and around my eyes. Have headache (dull) with a feeling of pressure on top of my head. These symptoms fade and then get stronger - this has been going on for a week. What should I do? Just want to feel better and for my head and back of the eyes to feel normal again. Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 55 minutes later
I would suggest you to consult a neurologist. There are different kinds of seizures. The one i am referring to is partial seizure in which there may be visual disturbance for some time and then it improves.
You should definitely try and get scan done at A&E. For headache you can temporarily take analgesics as has been prescribed to you.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor