Sudden severe pain in the arm spreading to the legs and back. What treatment should be done?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My daughter is 19...healthy in every respect...normal weight...is suddenly experiencing severe pain in right arm spreading to her legs and back. Its 3 am here in Mumbai India and I want to know if it requires medical attention...
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
A sudden severe pain in the arm spreading to the legs and back without any history of injury is likely to be due to a neurological cause. In case the pain is not associated with any limb weakness then it can wait till you get an appointment with a neurologist.
Right now for relief she can have a mild pain killer like ibuprofen and start with vitamin B 12 supplements for relief. Make sure that she takes plenty of electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids like fresh fruit juices and sports drinks orally.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.