Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Sudden development of stammering in a child. Any medication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 290 Questions
My son is 2.5 years old & all of a sudden he has started stammering. He was always fluent in his talks but it was only in last 1 week that he is stammering. Kindly suggest what kind of medication should i take for him.
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Haseena Hamdani 5 hours later

Thanks for the query.

I understand your concern. Usually stammering is very common at this age and 99% of children improve the stammering. Thus just do WATCHFUL waiting.

At the same time you must consult speech therapist, who can provide education to parents. Parents can do a lot of help in these young children.

You must take professional help from a family doctor, speech therapist, and/or neurologist:
- If there are other symptoms like rapid blinking, tightening of face or upper body, trembling of lips,
- If stammering does not improve within 1-2 years.
- If frequency of stammering increases.
- If there is family history of stammering,
- If there is any history of Viral fever (Brain fever), brain injury, or other unusual symptoms, your doctor may advise to do some investigations like electroencephalogram (EEG), Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) / Computed Tomograph (CT) or Positron Emission Tomograph (PET) scan to rule out any underlying cause and proceed with treating it.

You have mentioned that your child was fluent 1week before, it is possible that he wants to catch up fast, and there is little in-coordination between his brain and the muscles of lips, tongue, vocal cords etc. This is the common development problem with speech and language learning. It is wise to be knowledgeable about the condition, but do not become panic.

I hope, I have answered your query. If there are any other questions regarding this condition, you are most welcome.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor