Sudden appearance of bruise at lower back with a pain. Is this related to herniated disc?

Posted on Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Back Pain
Question: Hi, Hello.
I'm writing for assistance or guidance.
Two few weeks ago on a Saturday Morning I ran a 5K. I noticed the next day (Sunday) I was more sore than normal (in my legs and was walking "bow-legged" for a few days that work-week.) The walking part healed and I thought it was due to my not lifting weights (or doing leg-presses) much before my 5K race. I did not think too much of it. Today is Thursday and I've been walking fine all week. I was able to go running last weekend (Saturday.)

The question I have may or may not be related to this. But I thought you should I know I am a typically healthy 30-year old. But last night I went to my gym. I did 20 minutes on the Elliptical and 20 on the Treadmill, I did 20 leg presses at 65 kg (very light) and I only ran 1 mile and I did so at a nice casual pace (with the exception of when the NY Yankees hit that amazing Home Run during the bottom of the 9th, then I quickened a bit and may have jumped.) I mention this because when I went home last night I took a bath. As I sat in the tub I noticed a bump at the top of my buttox. I felt very sore. Today my back has been sore all day and I looked again, it seems there may be a bruise there at the top of my buttox. I mention this only because at first I thought maybe it was a herniated disc? I cannot tell if it is at the base of my Spine or not.

I sit a lot at the job I go to during the day. I've been working with trainers at my gym who point out that my spine is "out of shape XXXXXXX But I don't know if that is true or not. I still cannot determine if this is a serious "injury" or if it'll be fine and recover on its own. I'm wondering if I need to go and see a Doctor for this? Is this a "imaginary Pain"? Why do I have this sore spot at the base of my back, and what should I do now to fix it? Currently I'm sitting again atop an excercise ball. I do sit in my car daily. I notice a sharp pain as I roll to the tip of my butt/back. What on earth can this be? And should I be worried about it?

Thanks.
-XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Sudden appearance of bruise at your lower back with a pain in the area is suggestive of an injury in the area. Since a MRI for you if he feels necessary.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon