Owl Image

Subclinical hypothyroidism and have fibromyalgia. What should be done to get relief from pain?

Owl Image
Dr. Rahul Tawde

Question
After running some test, my doctor told me that I am sub clinical hypothyroidism. What the heck does that mean? Around the same time, the primary care, neurologist, and chiropractor started mentioning fibromyalgia. Is it true that fibro pain could actually be caused/similar to the thyroid being out of wack. AND maybe, a trial of low dose of thyroid might be advisable?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 4 days later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in. Subclinical hypothyroidism means TSH is high when thyroid hormones T3 & T4 are normal. Usually TSH is only slightly elevated and less than 10 IU/ml.It is a mild form of hypothyroidism. By definition it shouldnt cause any symptoms. However sometimes patients do complain of vague and non specific aches and pains & weakness. If these are the kind of symptoms you are troubled by then there is nothing wrong in taking a therapeutic trial of levothyroxine for 3 - 6 months. If symptoms resolve then it confirms the cause of symptoms &may justify continued long term medication.
Hope this helps
Shivaprasad