Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Strong ammonia vaginal odor,milky discharge,metro-gel used

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 157 Questions
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 1 hour later
Hi ,

Thanks for your query.

History of strong ammonia vaginal odor since 9 months plus milky discharge since recently ,requires a clinical examination(per speculum examination to examine the vaginal walls and cervix).

Here are the few causes of vaginal foul smelling discharge.
1. Bacterial vaginosis.
2. Trichomoniasis
4.Chlamydial infection.

The test that are done are to see the exact cause are:
1.Examination of vaginal discharge under microscope for finding the causative microorganism.
2.cultures of your cervix
3.Pap smear

Since you not had any improvement in the past medication a change over to oral antibotics or other effective topicals can be advised only after the examination and the relevant test.

To help prevent and treat vaginal discharge/odor the simple that can be followed are:

1.Keep your genital area clean and dry.
2.Do not douche. While many women feel cleaner if they douche after menstruation or intercourse, it may actually worsen vaginal discharge because it removes healthy bacteria lining the vagina that are there to protect you from infection. It can also lead to infection in the uterus and fallopian tubes, and is never recommended.
3.Use pads and not tampons.
4. Check your blood sugar level,keep your blood sugar levels under good control if you have diabetes.
5.If the discharge is caused by a sexually transmitted disease, your sexual partner (or partners) must be treated as well, even if they have no symptoms. Failure of partners to accept treatment can cause the infection to keep coming back and may lead to pelvic inflammatory disease or infertility.
6.Use condoms to avoid catching or spreading sexually transmitted diseases.

Since a detailed clinical examination and the relevant tests are essential to tell what's going on, I suggest you to see a Gynaecologist for the same.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor