Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Stroke victim, loss of periferal vision in left eye, vision growing poorer, chronic condition. Treatment ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 540 Questions
wife had a stroke years ago had lost some periferal vision in left eye, and over the years has gotten worse. Is there anything that can be done to correct, or stop this?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 13 minutes later

Thanks for your query.
I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

I understand you need help with your wife's stroke condition.

Ischemic type has better outcome than hemorrhagic type of stroke.

Recovery time and need for long-term treatment differs from person to person. Problems moving, thinking, and talking often improve in the weeks to months after a stroke. A number of people who have had a stroke will still continue to improve in the months or years after the stroke. While in a few individuals some residual symptoms are permanent. Perhaps a reevaluation by a competent ophthalmologist is entailed after discussing with your primary physician.

My advice to your wife for now:
1. Avoid fatty foods. Follow a healthy, low-fat diet.
2. Do not drink alcoholic drinks.
3. Exercise regularly: 30 minutes a day if you are not overweight; 60 - 90 minutes a day if you are overweight.
4. Get your blood pressure checked every 1 - 2 years, especially if high blood pressure runs in your family.
5. Have your cholesterol checked. If you are at high risk for stroke, your LDL "bad" cholesterol should be lower than 100 mg/dL.
6. Follow your doctor's treatment recommendations if you have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, and heart disease.
7. Quit smoking if any.

I hope I have answered your concern on a broad sense now. Should you have any more queries, feel free to clarify them here.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Stroke victim, loss of periferal vision in left eye, vision growing poorer, chronic condition. Treatment ? 2 hours later
That was really BROAD. I guess even doctors really don't hear or read very well, for this I paid money, you got to be kidding me!. My question was simple and straight foward, but the answer was NOT!
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 5 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for the follow up.

If the answer was so simple and straight forward as you say, stroke today would be irreversible in 100% of cases, and none would recover completely. But, this is not true. Every patient is different, to the doctor right from the extent of lesion involved to the time taken for treatment and 100 other things involved.

Your query - "Is there anything that can be done to correct, or stop this?"

2 things in here - You want "correction" which in medical terms is cure.

I have explained the cure part in the early answer, as to how cure is dependent on many factors, as I said in here too, which I have repeated. Your wife's vision condition also would depend on the same factors as above. (You have not sent me reports nor a complete medical history. In spite of that I told you patiently about the possibilities.)

Then, I gave you 7 prime points for a possible pausing of a stroke condition that is time tested in various studies. I gave you those from my experience and knowledge from medical textbooks, because I do not want my patients to google things and pick up knowledge that is more than half time useless but also detrimental to the doctor.)

I would be happy to answer you again in case you have further queries about your wife's condition.

I will be available for explaining you the reports if you send them to me.

I do believe your doctor who has seen your wife for her stroke is the best to comment on her vision, if you think my answer is not to your liking.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor