Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Stressed due to overbearing in-laws. How should I react?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 415 Questions
I have two daughters one ten years and one is aged one year. I am facing stress at home due to overbearing inlaws. My husband is only son. I do not have freedom to do anything at home like food as per my choice. Spouse works long hours and not really at home as reaches home late. Both MIL and FIL do not have anything to keep themselves gainfully occupied. They are forever bitching behind my back about how i do not do any work etc. cribbing even to maids. We have told them to stay separately in their own house but they are creating problems, trying to involve other family members (outside our home). please suggest how should i react
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 6 hours later
Thanks for the query
It seems a host of psychosocial problems is the reason for stress. But, it may not be fair to come to same conclusion from a brief description that you have given.

Sometimes, it may be other way round, means, individuals who are having depressive or anxiety symptoms are likely to be oversensitive, irritable, perceive small problems as big etc

Kindly answer me the following questions.
1. Is your husband aware of your concerns?
2. Have you tried to solve this issue by discussing with your partner and it has failed or you are not able to in spite of your best effort?
3. To what extent your husband approve of the idea of sending in-laws to separate house? Are they having any illness?

a. In such situations, most important step is to keep your nerve cool
b. Analyze your husband’s view point carefully, realistically, from husbands point of view for a while so as to take husband into confidence, who may be of key support to you

Kindly answer me and If you are not satisfied, which is likely to be, because of the nature of problem, you can call me through health care magic for further problem solving oriented and assessment of the situation oriented counseling/discussion.

Hope this piece of information will motivate you to try to solve the situation further.

I am available for further query and I will be glad to receive a call from you.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor