Strep,sinusitis,mycoplasma bacteria,pneumonia,fever and vomiting.

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Question: Hello,
My daughter is 5 years old and in preschool. She gets sick about every 2-3 weeks with anything from Strep to sinusitis to Mycoplasma bacteria. She has been diagnosed with Strep at least 6 times in the last calendar year, and was hospitalized with S. Pneumonia a year ago. She just go off of antibiotics on 5/2 for a sinus infection and yesterday (5/7) began having symptoms (cough, congestion, fever, vomiting, retracting when she breathes). We were given a nebulizer when she was discharged from the hospital and I do use it when she has the congestion and it helps a lot. I am wondering what is causing all the sickness? I, myself, do have a history of asthma and it runs in our family.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for your query.

Adenoid tissue hypertrophies in all children between the ages of 3 and 7. Get an X-ray skull lateral view done to see the extent of adenoid hypertrophy. This could be the cause of most of her problems listed above. If you have done an X-ray previously, both images can be compared. You may mail the image/s to YYYY@YYYY with 'Attn: Dr. Sumit Bhatti' as the subject line.

Most children tend to fall sick often when they join preschool. The One Airway One Disease concept adopted by the XXXXXXX (Allergic Rhinitis and it's Impact on Asthma) guidelines stresses on the control of Allergic Rhinitis to improve asthma.

You should avoid Motrin (Ibuprofen) as it worsens bronchospasm.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, or if you wish to share your test results, I will be available to answer them.