Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Strained muscle in glute, pain while walking, sitting, getting up, pregnant, oral pain relievers. Treatment ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
Hello, I think I may have pulled or strained a muscle in my glute. I have been having a lot of pain while walking, sitting down, walking down stairs and getting up for about a week now. I am also pregnant, so I have not taken any oral pain relievers. Is this something I should see a dr. for or just wait it out?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 27 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Pregnancy causes increase in hormones such as progesterone and relaxin which have a loosening effect on the muscles, joints, and ligaments. This process helps prepare the body for childbirth, but also causes relaxation of tissues and joints that normally support your body.

Hence you are having this pain due to the loosening of ligaments. Another reason could be due to the compression of muscle, ligaments (like round ligament) and nerves due to the growing baby which puts an extra strain on the hips and pelvis. Last reason could be due to iliotibial band syndrome which commonly occurs during pregnancy.

Relax as such type of pain is not serious unless accompanied by abdominal cramps, spotting or bleeding. You should relax and take complete bed rest by doing minimal exertional activities.

For relief, few things can be done. These include:

1) Rest as much as possible, apply cold compresses and elevate the legs. Avoid using high heels in pregnancy.
2) You should lie on one side with knees and hips bent when sleeping or resting. You can also keep a cushion between your knees and under the belly.
3) You should keep your feet elevated while resting and take adequate calcium and magnesium in your diet.

If symptoms are worse then you can take pain killers after consulting your gynecologist if you are in the second trimester.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor