Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
120 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Stopped using contraceptive pills. Not getting pregnant. Medicine to get pregnant?

Answered by
Dr. Aarti Abraham


Practicing since :1998

Answered : 6010 Questions

Posted on Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Infertility Problem
Question: I need you advise.
i have been married for more than one year. i stopped using contraceptive pills for exactly one year. i am worried as i havent got pregranant until now.
is this normai? or is my concern valid? when shall i visit a Gyna for tests / checks?
what kind of tests would be required?
what can tests indicate?
are there supplements provided to increase the chance of getting pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

Unsuccessfully trying to conceive inspite of having regular intercourse for a year , is technically defined as infertility, or let me choose a better word - subfertility.
It is not normal.
Your concern is valid, and you should indeed visit a Fertility Specialist at the earliest, specially considering your age.
Regarding the tests required , let me explain you a bit.
Firstly, your husband's semen analysis should be done after 3 days of abstinence. This is an important parameter.
Secondly, you should have a baseline ultrasound on day 2 of your period to evaluate the status of your uterus, ovaries and pelvic organs.
Thirdly, it should be determined if your ovulation is occurring normally. For this, various hormonal tests like FSH, LH, AMH etc would be done. Also, a cycle of follicular monitoring ( serial observation by ultrasound of the growth of the ovarian follicles that is eggs, their rupture that is ovulation and the lining of the uterus ) should be done to confirm normal ovarian function.
Lastly one important parameter is the patency of the fallopian tubes, which are responsible for meeting of the sperm and egg.
You have two options here - you can go for HSG ( hysterosalpingogram ) which is like an X XXXXXXX of the tubes, or you can go for diagnostic laparoscopy which is more reliable but more invasive. At 32, I would say you should go for laparoscopy first.
Also, basic blood investigations, thyroid profile, viral markers, blood sugars of the couple should be done.

After this work up, your Fertility Doctor will determine the further treatment.
You can be given trial of natural cycles with follicular monitoring, or drugs / medications to help ovulation if required, or ART ( assisted reproductive technologies ) if the need arises.

So please go for a consultation at the earliest, as with further ageing, the problem will worsen.

There are no proven supplements to increase chances of getting pregnant.
However there are a few tips for you :

1. Learn about the ovulation period ( in a 28 day cycle, ovulation occurs around day 14 ). Having intercourse around those days will maximize chances of conception.
2. Maintain a healthy BMI ( applies to both husband and wife ).
3. Exercise regularly and have a diet XXXXXXX in XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, antioxidants, fresh fruits etc.
4. Avoid stress and anxiety, as those two factors negatively impact the hormones and hence, fertility. Positivity is the first step towards pregnancy.
5. Talk to your husband, and conduct proper enquiries for locating a reputed fertility specialist in the area where you reside. Comply with the doctor's advice with proper sincerity and trust.
6. Take regular folic acid supplements daily.

All the best.
Feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 minutes later
is it better to go for infertility specialist or shall i first start with Gynecologist?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 31 minutes later
Hello again,
I definitely think you should go for an Infertility Specialist.
What otherwise happens is that patients go from gynecologist to gynecologist, undergoing repeated testing and investigations and multiple treatments, and are finally referred to an infertility specialist.
It is better to go the specialist in the field so that without wasting time, complete tests and treatment can be done at one go.
It is for your benefit only.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Folic acid

doctor1 MD

HI, My brother has been diagnosed with PsA, he has psoriasis from past 4 yrs but it showed only on the middle fingure on one hand. He was detected...

doctor1 MD

I have recently moved from Minnesota to Arizona. I have a history of ankle swelling, along with tingling and sharp shooting pains in my feet. My...

doctor1 MD

Due to increase in weight for past 1 year i am getting irregular periods.. Before that for me it was 32 day regular interval cycle.. Went to...

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor. I have had a miscarriage last year and i am trying to conceive again now. My gynae suggested i take osure, aspimed, folic acid and...

doctor1 MD

I am 14 weeks pregnant with twins. For the past 3 days am having severe shooting pain in my arms and shoulders. It started with left hand now moved...

doctor1 MD

My husband has had these symptoms for over a year: extreme fatigue , dizziness & slight headache. These symptoms have come and go all this time. he...

doctor1 MD

what should a pregnant woman do during pregnancy so she can have normal delivery?