Stopped taking loestrin 24fe. Noticed blood in urine and raised AST, ALT level. Any ideas?

Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: In Aug my AST and ALT levels were normal but i had a diverticulitis episode and CRP, Thrombocytes were elevated. CRP went down and thrombocytes stayed slighlty above the normal level 377 when normal is 340. I stopped taking Loestrin 24FE contraceptive as I am 49. I repeated blood work tests as I noticed blood in urine and noticed ALT went up 5 fold to 255 ( from intial 28) and AST tripled to 85. Is this possibly caused becaused I stopped taking contraceptives? My ALT ,AST level were completely fine over 8 years of taking contracentives. Now, I have an increase in two months that I cannot explain.
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thanks for contacting Healthcare magic.

Stopping contraceptive pills is certainly not the cause of raised AST and ALT in your case. You need to see a hepatologist or a gastroenterologist to further evaluate the cause of raised AST and ALT. Some common causes of raised liver enzymes (AST and ALT) are as follows:

Alcohol
Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C infections XXXXXXX (non-alcoholic steato-hepatitis)
Drugs
Auto-immune hepatitis

These certainly need to be ruled out.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow up: Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 6 minutes later
My ASt/ALT went up in 20 days by 5 fold. What is most likely cause of this? I don't drink any alchohol...

My ALT/ASt were completely normal in August. Please, let me know most likely cause.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 31 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX,

I understand that your enzymes were normal in August and have recently gone up. If you have not taken any hepatotoxic drug in last 6 months then without lab tests it is very difficult to predict the cause of raised enzymes. This needs to be investigated.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal
Follow up: Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 17 hours later
This is my last question: I am attaching my analysis in hopes you can give me more precise answer. The only difference today is that my ALT and AST tripled 5 times in 20 days. Not from August. Dec 11, ASt and ALT were slightly elevated and I re-tested and got 5 times worse result than on Dec 12. Do I need to seek doctor immediately or this can wait till XXXXXXX 21st when i have an appointment with my doctor? Thank you in advance, XXXXXXX
Dear XXXXXXX,

I can understand your anxiety. Certainly since Dec 11 the levels have risen significantly. All other reports sent by you look fine.

If you do not have any pressing symptoms, then you can certainly wait till 21st XXXXXXX but not beyond that.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal