Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

121 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Stopped taking contraceptive pill. Getting delayed light periods. HPT negative. Chances of pregnancy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12927 Questions
i have been on the pill for approx 2 years & have come off it in the past 8 months in veiw of starting a family.
i have always been regular with my periods & they have always lasted approx 5 days & always been medium/light.
in the past 3 months i have been getting my period 2 weeks late & only for approx 2 -3 days then this last one was 1 week late & only lasted 1 1/2 days then just was spotting for a couple of days after. (nothing that required a pad)
i have taken numerous store brought pregnancy tests but they are all negative................!
could i be pregnant & this is not registering on the test or am i just dreaming this all up??
please can you help me?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
A one week late lighter period is not suggestive of pregnancy. Also the pregnancy tests are negative. So, pregnancy is ruled out.
The late periods and a decreased bleeding is likely to be due to hormonal disturbance like PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome).
The blood tests to check for other causes of irregular periods such as high levels of thyroid hormone, high levels of a hormone called prolactin which is secreted in the brain, high levels of cortisol which is a steroid hormone, abnormal levels of hormones secreted by a gland called the adrenal gland can also affect reproduction.
Androgen levels (the male hormone, normally found in small amounts in the female- check to see if levels normal), levels of the female hormones FSH and LH also need to be evaluated.

In addition to abnormal levels of the above hormones the other causes of an irregular period would be stress (either psychological or physical), inadequate nutritional status, excess physical activity.
You can consult your gynecologist for proper investigations and required treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN