Stopped taking contraceptive pill. Getting delayed light periods. HPT negative. Chances of pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: Hello
i have been on the pill for approx 2 years & have come off it in the past 8 months in veiw of starting a family.
i have always been regular with my periods & they have always lasted approx 5 days & always been medium/light.
in the past 3 months i have been getting my period 2 weeks late & only for approx 2 -3 days then this last one was 1 week late & only lasted 1 1/2 days then just was spotting for a couple of days after. (nothing that required a pad)
i have taken numerous store brought pregnancy tests but they are all negative................!
could i be pregnant & this is not registering on the test or am i just dreaming this all up??
please can you help me?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
A one week late lighter period is not suggestive of pregnancy. Also the pregnancy tests are negative. So, pregnancy is ruled out.
The late periods and a decreased bleeding is likely to be due to hormonal disturbance like PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome).
The blood tests to check for other causes of irregular periods such as high levels of thyroid hormone, high levels of a hormone called prolactin which is secreted in the brain, high levels of cortisol which is a steroid hormone, abnormal levels of hormones secreted by a gland called the adrenal gland can also affect reproduction.
Androgen levels (the male hormone, normally found in small amounts in the female- check to see if levels normal), levels of the female hormones FSH and LH also need to be evaluated.

In addition to abnormal levels of the above hormones the other causes of an irregular period would be stress (either psychological or physical), inadequate nutritional status, excess physical activity.
You can consult your gynecologist for proper investigations and required treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.