Stopped taking birth control. Had unprotected sex. Should I be worried about pregnancy?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi. I just had a question about birth control/pregnancy. I stopped taking birth control pills about three weeks ago. Several days before stopping the pills, I had had sex. Is there any chance that sperm could have survived long enough for me to ovulate? I haven't had my period since then, and it's worrying me. Can you help me?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Thank you for posting a query.

Before stopping the pill, how many pills have you taken ?

It is important. Suppose, you have stopped it after taking 8 to 9 days from the date of last menstruation, then there is chances of pregnancy. If you have taken the pills for long time without any gap, then there is very low chance of pregnancy.

A sperm can live for 48 hours in vagina. If your day of ovulation was after stopping the pills, then it is impossible to get pregnant. If the ovulation was before stopping pills, there is very little chances of pregnancy. The day of ovulation can be calculated from your previous menstrual history. Roughly, it occurs between 10 to 18 days in a woman having regular menstruation of 28 days.

So, provide me your previous menstrual history, period of taking pill as a follow up for better suggestion.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 10 hours later
I had been taking the pills for a month and a half when I stopped. At that time, I was two weeks into my second pill pack (contains one for each day of the month). Also, if I am not pregnant, when should I expect to get my period again? Will my hormones be messed up for a long time?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 32 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

As you was on second week, there is chance of pregnancy due to contraception failure.

The drug cannot lead to hormonal imbalance for long time.

The delay in period occurs due to temporary hormonal imbalance. You should do a home pregnancy test on or after the day of expected date of menstruation.

If the pregnancy test is negative, wait for the spontaneous menstruation. It may be delayed for 7 to 10 days.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.