Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Stopped drinking. I am underweight and have loss of appetite. Which doctor should I consult?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
i am underweight and have been for months now i lost 7 lbs when i quit drinking almost 4 years ago, now i seem to stay around 100 lbs i eat healthy and not healthy foods - sometimes stress causes me to lose my appetite but i am 5 7 abd need to put weight on who can i see what kind of dr.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some recommendations.

Honestly I think one of the best practitioners for you to discuss your concerns with first would be a licensed dietitian or nutritionist. If you can sit down and discuss your history as well as your daily intake of calories this practitioner may be able to put together a strategy to help you gain healthy weight.

A general medical doctor also might be able to provide you with some recommendations. Perhaps also some laboratory testing including checking your thyroid function would be reasonable. If there is still no other explanation for why you're not able to gain even a small amount of weight it might be reasonable for you to see an endocrinologist. This type of position specializes in hormonal balance issues which can sometimes affect weight as well.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any other specific concerns.

Dr Galamaga

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor